The marketing manager for myDental – a growing Austin dentist office – reached out to me with a unique and unfortunate situation. He was almost done having his dental website design completed but wasn’t happy with the existing web design firm’s product. The team working on his redesign were using rigid templates and couldn’t accomplish what he was looking for – namely, to support multiple locations for his growing local business. He wanted each location to show unique content including different insurances accepted, different doctors and different promotions while having the website run off of an easy to maintain backend.
Thankfully, that’s the kind of thing my team excels at. We designed a new website from the ground up, customized to the client’s exact needs. Thankfully, we were able to use most all of the content of the work-in-progress website, so we could work quickly.
We created a couple different Custom Post Types to make it easy for the myDental team to administer the website. For example, location information like opening hours is added in one place and then updated all across the website. We created a set of insurances accepted that can be quickly customized for each location. Similarly, we created a set of new customer promotions that can be valid at all locations or just certain ones. Our guiding principle is – only make the client do something once and have the backend make all the updates.
The client also wanted to use modern, bold photography and stay away from the kind of cheesy obvious stock photography that everyone else uses. My personal background as a commercial and fashion photographer in New York made us well suited to select great contemporary photography to complement myDental’s contemporary business mantra.
- Designed and built a custom fast loading responsive mobile first WordPress website. Our custom WordPress theme process starts with Automattic’s underscores WordPress framework – all WordPress without any bloat. Then we add Bootstrap 4 – the the world’s most popular front end framework – to give us the ability to create any layout imaginable. The result of combining underscores and Bootstrap 4 is a totally customizable website powered by the WordPress Content Management System in a lightweight, agile and fast package
- Sass based stylesheet development and custom php template development using Custom Post Types, Custom Taxonomies and Advanced Custom Fields
- Custom developed in-house client side review management system to collect reviews for each business location, display aggregate review averages for each location, display those aggregate reviews in Search Engine Results Placements via Schema.org Structured Data and aggregate all location reviews into a master total for the entire business
- Above-the-fold Critical CSS technology using Penthouse and Autoptimize for super fast page loading and top tier Google PageSpeed Scores
- Custom utilization of responsive image technology to automatically send high resolution images to large screens and lower resolution optimized images to smaller screens including mobile phones for faster page loading, better Search Engine Optimization (SEO) ranking and crisp image display on all devices
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for page titles, descriptions, headlines and body content
- Google Analytics and Google Search Console tracking
- Website hosting using my team’s super fast managed WordPress platform powered by WP Engine
- Open source fonts as well as Font Awesome 5 Pro all hosted locally for optimal performance and speed